Thursday, July 05, 2007

blip.tv for development

By recommendation from Jay Dedman I moved from Youtube to blip.tv to host my videos (almost forgot I started with castpost). I thought blip had roughly the same features as youtube, but I liked the fact that when you embed videos, you don't have a large triangle and YOUTUBE on your video. Just looks better with blip.tv.

But yesterday I discovered an important reason why blip.tv is better for use in a development context. Namely, it is very hard to download videos from youtube! It's quite easy from blip.tv. This feature is helpful if you want to put the video on a server or on a CDrom to play it back to an audience with unreliable or low bandwidth connectivity. Though it is not impossible on youtube, it is not as easy as on blip.tv

3 comments:

Nynke Kruiderink said...

Sounds great! Any ideas what the reason for this might be? If the video's they're servicing are the same, then it's possibly a matter of streaming speed, webserver capacity, mirror servers hosted locally/regionally...? Ideas anyone?
I wonder if it's a matter of, if blip tv becomes as popular as YouTube, it might not perform as well anymore either. If so let's keep this a public secret. :>

Nynke Kruiderink said...

Oh wait, I misunderstood 'download'! :>
That is definetly a nice feature!
Nynke

Joitske said...

Hiya, yes, its the download feature which is absent in youtube.. I think this is interesting in design for broadband- not for southern contexts- I do believe there is lots of scope of customized design for the south, but in the meantime we can also screen what of the other stuff works..