Friday, November 09, 2007

Integrating a blog into your website

Probably most organisations would ask the question whether to integrate a blog into their website or whether to host a blog in a separate space. There are some good considerations written down on Mark White's business blog.

In my case, I have a blog and I want to build a website to make my advisory services clearer. I have already decided I would like to integrate my blog and the website, as I think a blog is a very powerful means, and I would like the site and blog to work together. Get clients now lists some reasons (in Dutch) why a blog can be more powerful than a website. I can summarize some for the non-Dutchies, adding my own experiences:
  • With every blogpost, you can show some of your thoughts, qualities, knowledge
  • You make it easy for people to point to some of your specific blogposts
  • You end up quite high in google with the words that you use in your blog

With regards to the last one; Mark Fonseca talked about podcasting to the e-collaboration group and shared an anecdote about someone who scored quite high numbers of visitors with his blog (or podcast). He achieved this by using tags like Britney Spears... Personally I found out through today through a visitor to my blog that googling on 'first person to invent lasagna' puts my blog as number 1.... I feel quite sorry for that person that I chose such an irrelevant name for my blog.

Mark White also has more technical considerations on where and how to integrate your blog into the site. I'm still finding out how to work it out technically speaking, and whether to integrate the full page, or use a feed. I think I will try the first one. Any advice welcome!

2 comments:

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Joitske,

I thought WORDPRESS offers a website, with a blog--as in http://www.elsbro.com/blog.

Joitske said...

Hi Emma, thanks! I just decided to go for Wordpress.. I was hesitant because I'm happy with my blogger blog, but I'll keep this one and start a Dutch blog in Wordpress.