What is Flipgrid?
Three ways of using Flipgrid
- Flipgrid to get to know each other. You can use Flipgrid before you give a training session or (online) workshop. Ask participants to share what they want to learn, or introduce themselves. As a facilitator, you have a richer feel of your participants: face, voice and learning questions. Add a light-hearted question if you like, such as 'what made you laugh out loud this week?'
- Flipgrid for groupwork harvesting. I regularly use Flipgrid for group assignments, especially when the group is working together online for 1-3 weeks. I ask them to record a flipgrid video with their harvest in 1 minute. It helps the group condense their findings. I will show the videos during the (online) meeting. This way the presentations don't get boring and I know exactly how long it will take. You can make use of Flipgrid's mixtapes which is a feature which allows you to show a number of videos in a row via one link.
- Flipgrid for presentation skills. You can of course use Flipgrid to practice presentation skills. I used it to let participants practice a pitch. The advantage of Flipgrid is that participants can re-record as many times as they want. I showed the pitches during a live online session. All participants gave positive feedback and tips via the chat, but you can of course also ask to give feedback online in Flipgrid, or give feedback yourself as a trainer.
Example Flipgrid instruction
- Download the Flipgrid app from the app store: Android or Apple You will be asked for a flip code. The code is: 34xx5z
- Follow the steps to record your video. Click on Add response, log in with a Microsoft or Google account and start your video.
- Your contribution is approved by me. So don't worry if you don't see your own video right away, I'll approve it as soon as possible. If you have any questions, you can email me.
What can go wrong?
Making a clip
More on Flipgrid
- The book Flipgrid in the interactive class door Joe and Kristin Merill
- New! Use of backgrounds in Flipgrid (backdrops)
- Seven ideas for Flipgrid activities
- Nine new ways to use Flipgrid in the classroom
- Playlist van Flipgrid tutorials
- An alternative for Flipgrid is Threadit by Google