However, the meetup opened up a whole new world of interactive video. It is much more than just adding a question to a video. In this blog I share the 5 tools that were central to the meetup, with examples. The examples are in Dutch, but I think you can catch the interactions. It is very nice to see what is possible and it definitely opens up your creativity.
What is interactive video?Interactive video is a video in which the viewer can take various actions. Hence it gives more room for engagement and personalization. The viewer can click for more information, answer a question or make a choice. With his action, he determines the course of the film: a different order, or a question appears to answer. What I learned during the meetup is that it is useful to distinguish between Three types of interaction:
- navigation - a viewer chooses the path him or herself
- questions - speak for themselves
- hotspots -you can add information in text or video
Tooling: een overzicht van 5 toolsWe have looked at 5 different tools. Listed from simpel to more complex (or advanced) to work with:
H5PH5P is an open source program that you can use for free. You can upload your own video and make it interactive. Create an account, choose ‘interactive video’ and upload your own video (max. 16 MB). You can add questions and polls, and additional information via hotspots. You can also use H5P directly from Moodle and Wordpress if you have installed the plug-in. Here you see an example video made by Göran Kattenberg from Kattenberg Learning Innovation Consulting and The Blended Group.
H5P is actually a 'suite' of tools with which you can create learning activities with and without interactions that you embed in a learning environment. The newest is 'branching scenario'. With that you glue videos together with interactive branches.
- Cost: Free
- Difficulty: *
- Basic layer: can be video from YouTube or your own upload
- Hosting: Your video is on H5P (or on Moodle / Wordpress if you use the plug-in) but you can embed it on other sites
- Interesting because: it is free and therefore a great way to start interactive video
HihahoHihaho is a very simple program that you can get started with right away, you don't need any special video editing or other experience. You can create a free account and then click on + new Hihaho and then you can import a video from for example Youtube or Vimeo. Then, you can start to add your interactions via 'Enrich', for example a jump, a question or a break. As an example, an instructional video that was recorded with a smartphone. There are a number of questions.
- Cost: 10 videos and 100 viewers for free. Then from 19 euros / month
- Difficulty: *
- Basic layer: from YouTube, Vimeo, JWPlayer or Kaltura but also Media site, Blue Billywig and own upload
- Hosting: Your video remains hosted at the location of the base layer. You could see it as HiHaHo putting an interactive layer over your video. Both layers are merged into a link, embed code, Scorm package or xAPI. HiHaHo videos are used a lot in learning environments. By using SCORM or xAPI, results in the video also become visible in the LMS.
- Interesting because: it is a very easy program. There is almost no learning curve, you can get started right away.
Explorit allows you to add questions to your video and also provide feedback to the viewer. You can import from Youtube, Vimeo but also from Blue Billywig. You can export the edited video again via a full export, or you can also embed it on your own site or, for example, in Moodle. It is fairly intuitive to learn. Clients with an enterprise account receive 4 hours of training and can then get to work. View an example below about the provincial and water board elections. The Provincial election part is mainly based on interactive video, the Water Board election part is based on interactive images.
- Costs: Basic account 25 euros / month, Professional account 125 euros / month
- Difficulty: **
- Basic layer: not only a video, but also an image is possible as a base layer. Video must be on YouTube; soon a video from Vimeo can also be linked
- Hosting: You can either export your video as html or use it directly from the site.
- Interesting because: you can also add feedback to questions and you can also make interactive pictures
Ivory StudioIvory studio describes itself as 'the online editor for interactive video' and that is actually a very good name. It is very similar to video editing programs such as Imovie or Windows Moviemaker. It is widely used by filmmakers. You can also do more with Ivory Studio than with the aforementioned tools, such as uploading your own media, adding different videos, choosing from 5 different interactions. Last but not least you can personalize by linking to databases. An example: a company that does DNA analysis for babies sends the parents a personalized result. Parents of babies with blue eyes receive a different video than parents of babies with brown eyes. View the example below to get an idea.
- Costs: 1 video for free, then flexible prices, eg 65 euros / month for 5 videos
- Difficulty: ****
- Basic layer: own video
- Hosting: Your video runs on the Ivory Studio player
- Interesting because: you have many options and can personalize using data sets
Blue BillyWigBlue Billywig is also both a hosting platform and an editor for interactive videos with which you can do a lot and have a lot of options. It is used for marketing but also for e-learning modules. You can use 360-degree videos, personalize and ask questions.
- Costs: on request
- Difficulty: ****
- Basic layer: own video
- Hosting: Blue Billywig is the hosting platform
- Interesting because: you have many options, you can personalize and you can use 360-degree videos